A festive tradition from our New Forest kitchen
At The Bell Inn, good food is what we know, so naturally when Christmas approaches our Chef’s culinary expertise comes into full-flourish. In this blog we are sharing with you our mouth-watering Mince Pie Tartlet recipe courtesy of the talent from our New Forest hotel.
When our minds turn to Christmas, we think of friends and family coming together; beautiful winter scenes, cosy indoor gatherings complete with warming log fires and of course delicious food (and lots of it). At our New Forest accommodation we strive to embody all the luxury and comfort of Christmas and we think festive favourites like Mince Pies are the perfect way to kick-start all the magic.
Ingredients for the Filling
480g Veggie Suet
480g Grated Bramley Apples
240g Mixed Peel
2 Lemons (juiced and zested)
480g Soft Brown Sugar
15g Mixed Spice
60g Ground Almonds
150g Dark Rum
Ingredients for the Pastry
1 kg Soft flour
2 Orange’s Zest
• Make the filling first by combining together all the ingredients and mixing well until everything is evenly dispersed
• Set aside the filling to make the pastry
• Mix the butter and sugar together and add the flour, zest and eggs
• Mix until all is combined – the pastry doesn’t need resting in the fridge!
• Roll the pastry out onto a floured surface until it is nice and thin and cut out individual circles to line your mince pie tray, you want the tart cases to come over the base of each of the indents
• Fill the tart cases with a generous amount of mince pie filling
• With the leftover pastry – cut out shapes and personalise your tartlets how you like
• Brush with a little egg yolk to give a shine on the pastry once cooked
• Bake for 15-20 minutes at 180C
Eat hot, or let rest.
And the final step is the most important – enjoy! We like them best with a splash of double cream or some delicious Cornish ice cream.
If you’re planning to host Christmas celebrations this year and you’re searching for some inspiration in the kitchen, then let our Mince Pie recipe be the solution to your search. Whether you’re hosting 50 guests or 5, Mince Pies have got to be the basis of any festive celebration.
If you’d just like the feast without the fuss, then be sure to pay our New Forest hotel a visit this December to indulge in all the Christmas magic.